But all these benefits come with some price in the form of self-discipline, annoying early morning alarms, sweats, pumping iron like a beast, devouring on protein shakes and eating like a monk. A quick reminder for you: You do not need to be an elite athlete to look your personal best, all it takes is a smart training and diet plan.
Of many supplements making waves in the market, I found a few that are particularly fascinating. Cordyceps (ancient Chinese mushroom) and Cacao (raw chocolate without all the processing and sugar) are something I want to bring in to the spotlight. Well, there must be some reasons why these supplements are outnumbering other supplements. Here in this article we will reveal some trusted and evidence-based facts about these supplements which make them a winner among the plethora of supplements.
Can Cordyceps drive You to a Higher Fitness Level?
Animal studies show Cordyceps delays fatigue . This wonderful gift of nature can extend duration of physical activities such as running or strenuous exercises. It does so by reducing accumulation of fatigue-inducing lactic acid levels in the blood and hence raising the fatigue threshold. In essence, Cordyceps can make you fit enough to run, lift iron in the gym, or swim for a longer duration without having to take rest. So, how about running a marathon this winter?
Not just endurance athletes can reap the benefits of Cordyceps. If you are a fan of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) or other high intensity exercises, then Cordyceps supplementation goes a long way in making you more tolerant to the effects of these fast and furious exercises . Also note that longer duration of intake corresponds to greater degree of benefits.
Note: Beneficial effects of Cordyceps are not limited to youths only. It can also help older adults achieve improved physical fitness .
Cacao: Beyond dark Chocolate; Dank Chocolate Dank Memes
If you are looking to run or swim longer, or spend more time (exercising) in the gym, then it’s time for you to munch a chocolate bar. Find here some more reasons to enjoy the chocolaty flavor (Warning: We do not mean sweet flavored chocolates) of cacao.
If you enjoy a runner’s high, then you should enjoy a chocolate bar before you hit the lane. Taking chocolate before running has been linked to quicker recovery .
Cacao is rich in flavanol “epicatechin” which may help you run longer with less fatigue as shown by the animal study . As your fatigue is delayed, your level of endurance is increased significantly.
Good News: World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says Cordyceps and Cacao are NOT Drugs
For more on the list of banned substances, you can log on to the official website of WADA at http://list.wada-ama.org.
- Yan W, et al Anti-fatigue property of Cordyceps guangdongensis and the underlying mechanisms
- Kumar R, et al Cordyceps sinensis promotes exercise endurance capacity of rats by activating skeletal muscle metabolic regulators
- Chen CY, et al Rhodiola crenulata- and Cordyceps sinensis-based supplement boosts aerobic exercise performance after short-term high altitude training
- Hirsch KR, et al Cordyceps militaris Improves Tolerance to High-Intensity Exercise After Acute and Chronic Supplementation
- Chen S, et al Effect of Cs-4 (Cordyceps sinensis) on exercise performance in healthy older subjects: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
- Chen S, et al Effects of a Chocalate Bar Supplementation on moderate excercise performance and recovery
- Nogueira L, et al (-)-Epicatechin enhances fatigue resistance and oxidative capacity in mouse muscle. The Journal of Physiology. (2011)
- Patel RK, et al Dark chocolate supplementation reduces the oxygen cost of moderate intensity cycling. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. (2015)